University of Southern Mississippi students and faculty who need assistance with information or documentation regarding administrative services for students may contact Alfreda Horton, coordinator of the university’s new Office of Student Oriented Services.
A native of Vicksburg, Miss. and a graduate of Southern Miss, Horton has been with the university’s staff since 1989, working in the Division of Student Affairs.
“During my time at Southern Miss, I’ve enjoyed guiding and supporting students in leadership endeavors, academic and personal growth,” Horton said. “I look forward to continuing those efforts in this new role.”
The Office of Student Oriented Services:
• Ensures availability of services to faculty, students and other academic and non-academic departments
• Provides a safe, comfortable and confidential environment for presenting issues to ensure that students’ and parents’ student needs are met and afforded due process
• Encourages student participation throughout the university community
• Offers assistance to students navigating the systems of the university with fairness and equity
• Assists students with excused class absentees by giving official notices to instructors and key university offices
• Assists students with finding solutions to their challenges and difficulties
• Serves as an office for student referrals to appropriate departments that addresses their needs
“Alfreda will provide essential services that will assist our students, faculty and parents. I strongly encourage students to take advantage of all of the services she provides,” said Dr. Eddie Holloway. “She is passionate about her work and will do an excellent job.”
The Office of Student Oriented Services is located in Room 219 of the R.C. Cook Student Union. Horton can be reached at 601.266.4025 or by e-mail at email@example.com.