Eighteen University of Southern Mississippi students will compete Saturday, Oct. 8 for the title of Miss University of Southern Mississippi and the opportunity to advance to the state pageant.
Hosted and produced by the Student Government Association (SGA), the 66th edition of the pageant will be held at 7 p.m. at Bennett Auditorium on the Hattiesburg campus. Admission is $5 students, $7 general admission. WDAM News Director Randy Swan and wife Millie Swan will emcee the event.
The event is a preliminary to the Miss Mississippi Pageant, set for June 27-30, 2012 in Vicksburg. Contestants will also compete for $2,900 in scholarship funds.
This year’s pageant contestants are:
· Grace Claire Cordes, a sophomore from Vicksburg, Miss. Cordes is a vocal performance major, Luckyday Scholar, and member of Chi Omega and the Southern Miss Opera and Musical Theatre Outreach Program. She is the daughter of Dale and Lyn Cordes.
· Arrielle Dale, a freshman from Meridian, Miss. Dale is a theater and dance major and a member of Delta Delta Delta, Debs Social Service Club, and Partnership for Healthy Mississippi. She is the daughter of Michael and Jo-Ann Dale.
· Jessica Fudge, a junior from Gulfport, Miss. Fudge is an advertising major and a volunteer with Gulfport Homeless Veterans, March of Dimes, and Meals on Wheels. She is the daughter of Stanley and Patricia Fudge.
· Rachael Holman, a junior from Slidell, La. Holman is a criminal justice major and a member of Pi Beta Phi, Honors College, and Eagle Ambassadors. She is the daughter of Rodney and Sandra Holman.
· Brandi Jarvis, a sophomore from Ocean Springs, Miss. Jarvis is a business management major and a member of Chi Omega, Dixie Darlings, and the Humane Society of South MS. She is the daughter of Kevin and Shelley Jarvis.
· Lori Johnson, a senior from Gulfport, Miss. Johnson is a public relations major and member of Campus Civitan, West Point Church Multimedia Ministry, and the Public Relations Student Society of America. She is the daughter of Larry D. Johnson and Crystal Tate-Johnson.
· Lindsey Kelley, a freshman from Pearl, Miss. Kelley is a double major in Hotel, Restaurant, Tourism Management and Theater and a member of the Honors College, Alpha Psi Omega, and the Baptist Student Union. She is the daughter of Rodney and Melissa Kelley.
· Elizabeth Kiehn, a junior from Meredian, Miss. Kiehn is an international business major, a Presidential Scholar, and member of Delta Gamma and Eagle Connection. She is the daughter of Dr. Robert and Martha Kiehn.
· Kiera Lane, a freshman from St. Rose, La. Lane is a kinesiotherapy major and a member of Student Eagle Club, Air Force JROTC, and volunteer with Divine Concepts II Behavioral Rehabilitation for Underprivileged Youth. She is the daughter of Jerry Lane Jr. and Kimberly Evans.
· Tamecia Myers, a junior from Jackson, Miss. Myers is a social work major and a volunteer at South Mississippi Children’s Center, a member of the African American Student Organization Dance Team and the Eagle Ambassadors. She is the daughter of Matthew Hines and Mary Myers.
· Bridget Page, a freshman from Pearl, Miss. Page is an elementary education major, a Luckyday Scholar, and member of the Dixie Darlings and Student Government Association. She is the daughter of Bruce and Paula Page.
· Kimberly Page, a freshman from Ellisville, Miss. Page is a polymer science major, a Luckyday Scholar, and member of the Honors College and Delta Gamma. She is the daughter of Anthony and Becky Page.
· Brettany Payne, a senior from Columbus, Miss. Payne is a broadcast journalism major, a Leadership Scholar, and member of Zeta Phi Beta and a Gamma Chi Recruitment Counselor. She is the daughter of Jerry and Brenda Wilkins.
· Breanne Ponder, a senior from Mt. Olive, Miss. Ponder is a communication studies major, a member of Eagle Ambassadors, Communication Studies Club, and Circle K International. She is the daughter of Keith and Beverly King Ponder.
· Valerie Remich, a sophomore from Pensacola, Fla. Remich is a music education major, a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, the Southern Belletones, and Eagle Ambassadors. She is the daughter of Lori and John Remich Jr.
· Megan Tanner, a junior from Angie, La. Tanner is an accounting major, a Leadership Scholar, a member of the Dixie Darlings, and a volunteer with Relay for Life. She is the daughter of Bobby and Lisa Tanner.
· Ashley Tate, a sophomore from Hattiesburg, Miss. Tate is an English major, a Luckyday Scholar, volunteer with Neighbors at Hawkins, and a member of the West Point Youth Ministry team. She is the daughter of Franklyn and Melody Tate.
· Chasity Tyler, a junior from Jackson, Miss. Tyler is a health policy major, a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, a YMCA Tutoring Volunteer, and a Wesley Manor Volunteer Assistant. She is the daughter of Willie and Tina Sanders.
For more information about The Miss University of Southern Mississippi Pageant, contact the Southern Miss Dean of Students Office at 601.266.6028. Tickets can be purchased in advance at the Southern Miss Ticket Office, at Bennett Auditorium the night of the event, or online at www.southernmisstickets.com.