Renowned experts and those currently working in top positions in the field of safety and security will share their knowledge and experience July 31 - Aug 1 at the third annual National Sports Safety and Security Conference and Exhibition at New Orleans’ famed Roosevelt Hotel. The event is sponsored by the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security (NCS4), located at The University of Southern Mississippi.
Incorporating the theme “Bridging the Gap Between Safety and Security,” the conference kicks off with its national forum Tuesday, July 31 from 12:30 – 2:30 p.m., titled “Spectator Violence” and featuring subject matter experts taking an in-depth look at the factors impacting fan behavior. The intensity of rivalry games, tailgating, alcohol consumption and other issues associated with violent behavior will be covered, followed by a discussion of potential safety policies designed to minimize the threat level for fans.
“We’ll have some of the best and brightest minds in the business at the conference sharing their knowledge, experience and research with conference participants for our national forum,” said Dr. Lou Marciani, director of NCS4. “We’ll also have some outstanding breakout sessions examining other pertinent topics that should prove of interest and benefit to attendees.”
Following the national forum, topical sessions (some concurrent) and their presenters that will follow over the three-day conference include the following:
Wednesday, Aug. 1
*8:30 – 9 a.m. “Power Outage Preparedness”
*9 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. “Sexual Misconduct & the Sports Industry: Mitigating Civil, Criminal & Reputational Risks”
*10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. concurrent breakout sessions
-Collegiate Sport Facility Operations Evacuations
-Professional Sport Facility Operations – Managing Safety for Parking Lots, Extensions of Venue Event
-Emergency Management/Fire/EMS/First Responders Unified Planning
- Law Enforcement – Crowd Control in Varying Situations
* 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Preventing, Monitoring and Managing Game Day Safety Situations
* 2:30- 3:30 p.m. - Panel: “The New Spectator: A Change in the Landscape”
* 3:45 – 5 p.m. - Panel: “Dealing with Weather: Safety Factors to Consider”
* 5 – 5:30 p.m. – “Preparing for Incidents Involving Active Shooter”
Thursday, Aug. 2
* 8:15 – 9:30 a.m. “Risk Management: Recognize, Prioritize, and Mobilize”
* 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. – “Best Practices in Mitigating Risk at your Sport Venue”
* 10:45 – 11:30 a.m. – “ADA: The New Frontier in the Sports World”
* 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. - “Rising Spectator Injuries and Deaths Raise Safety Concerns”
* 12:45 – 2:30 p.m. - Challenges/Solutions Roundtable Discussions (30 minute sessions) including the following topics: Apps for Safety and Security; Background Checks; Bomb Threat Plans; Conducting Risk Assessments; Conducting Successful Exercises; Crowd Management; DHS Safety Act; and Entrance Screening.