A new book produced by University of Southern Mississippi historian and alumnus Dr. Chester M. “Bo” Morgan detailing the institution’s 100-year history is now available for purchase.
“Treasured Past, Golden Future: The Centennial History of The University of Southern Mississippi”commemorates the university’s 100th anniversary, outlining its evolution from a small teacher’s college to a distinguished, comprehensive research institution. It includes more than 300 color and black and white illustrations
From the success of its graduates and passion of its devoted faculty to its ability to meet and conquer challenges brought by limited state funding, world wars, social movements, and natural disasters, Morgan captures the persistent spirit and strength that mark the university’s success.
Book signings for “Treasured Past, Golden Future” will be held at the following locations:
· Main Street Books, downtown Hattiesburg, Oct. 9, 11 a.m.
· Barnes & Noble at Southern Miss, Oct. 9, 2 p.m. (Southern Miss Centennial Homecoming Day) and at the Gulfport, Miss. Barnes & Noble bookstore Oct. 23, 1 p.m.
· Lemuria Books, Jackson, Miss. Oct. 12, 5 p.m.
“Treasured Past, Golden Future”is also available at:
· Barnes & Noble bookstores across Mississippi
· Campus Book Mart, Hattiesburg
· Square Books, Oxford, Miss.
· Turning Pages Books & More, Natchez, Miss.
· Online at www.Amazon.com
Morgan is also the author of “Redneck Liberal: Theodore G. Bilbo and the New Deal” and “A Priceless Heritage: A History of the Mississippi Power Company” with Donald Dana. For more information about “Treasured Past, Golden Future,” call the Southern Miss Centennial Celebration Office at 601.266.4095.